Unicef Job Vacancy : Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Post Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, NOD
Vacancy number: VN-NGR-01-2012
UNICEF Nigeria seeks the services of an experienced Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist who under the supervision of the Chief, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation and Field Coordination, ensure that the UNICEF Country Office has useful, valid and reliable information on the situation of children’s and women’s rights; the performance of UNICEF-supported programmes including their relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability, and in emergency contexts, their coverage, coordination and coherence.
Secondly, work within the UN country team to support UNCTgoals for delivering valid and reliable information on the attainment of the MDGs and other goals, and on the performance of UN-supportedprogrammes.
Thirdly, assist in the development of national capacities for monitoring, evaluation and research, withspecial attention to the interest, concern and participation of government, community, and civil society stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be expected to carryout the following duties:
1. Integrated Monitoring, Evaluation & Research Plan (IMEP) Ensure that the Country Office and national partners use a well-prioritised and realistic plan of research, monitoring and evaluation activities that will provide the most relevantand strategic information to manage the Country Programme, including tracking and assessing UNICEF’s distinct contribution.
2. Situation Monitoring and Assessment Ensure that the Country Office and national partners have timely and accurate measurement of change in conditions in the country or region, including monitoring of socio-economic trends and the country’s wider policy, economic or institutional context, to facilitate planning and to drawconclusions about the impact of programmes or policies.
3. Programme Performance Monitoring Ensure that the Country Office has quality information to assess progress towards expected results established in annual work plans.
4. Evaluation Ensure that UNICEF-supported evaluations are designed andimplemented to established UNquality standards, and the results are disseminated in a timely fashion to stakeholdersin order to improve programme performance and contribute to wider learning.
5. M&E Capacity Building Ensure that the monitoring and evaluation capacities of Country Office staff and national partners – government and civil society – are strengthened enabling them to increasingly engage inand lead monitoring and evaluation processes.
6. Coordination and Networking Ensure that the UNICEF office is effectively linked to wider UNICEF M&E developments in a way that both contributes to and benefits from organizational learning on effective M&E management.
Minimum qualifications and competencies:
Advanced university degree in social sciences, statistics, planning development, planning.
2. Work Experience:
• Professional work experience in programme development and implementation including monitoring and evaluation activities as follows:
• Eight years of relevant professional work experience.Developing country work experience (for International Profesional) or field work experience (for National Officer)
• At least one instance of exposure to emergency programming, including preparedness planning. Activeinvolvement in a humanitariancrisis response programme preferred.
3. Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and another UN language. Fluency in the national language of theduty station an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to workin a multi-cultural environmentand establish harmonious andeffective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Integrity and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
• Communication, Working withPeople and Drive for result.
• Analyzing, Planning and Organizing.
• Leading and supervising skills
• Ability to formulate strategies and concepts
• Applying technical expertise
• Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Evaluation Process Management, Follow-up on Recommendations and Dissemination of M&E results.
Method of Application:
If you are interested in the position and meet the requirements, please send cover letter (one page summary statement that describes how your experience and qualification relate to the job description) and a scanned/PDF copy of the completed and signed UN Personal History Form (which can be downloaded here ) to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of bussiness Tuesday, 6 March, 2012 .
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply.